This is totally the type of smart ass, idiosyncratic remark that I would make:

Panicking when her two-year-old
swallowed a tiny magnet, my
friend Phyllis rushed him to the
emergency room. “He’ll be fine,” the
doctor promised her. “The magnet
should pass through his system in a
day or two.”
“How will I be sure?” she pressed.
“Well,” the doctor suggested, “you
could stick him on the refrigerator
and when he falls off, you’ll know.”

Marie Thibodeau, Nashua, N.H. as contributed to Reader’s Digest and printed in “Life in These United States,” December 2003.